The Business Development Manager oversees the implementation of business objectives among their company’s sales, marketing and business development professionals. His/Her duties include comparing current sales numbers to desired quotas, delegating sales and marketing tasks among team members and meeting with upper management to discuss their progress.
- Contacts potential clients to establish rapport and arrange meetings.
- Generates leads and cold call prospective customers
- Follows up new business opportunities and setting up meetings
- Sets goals and developing plans for business and revenue growth
- Researches the latest in the business industry and creating new opportunities to expand business
- Plans and oversees new marketing initiatives.
- Draws up client contracts – depending on the size of company, this task may be completed by someone else or agreements may not be as formal
- Communicates new product developments to prospective clients
- Sets goals for the business development team and developing strategies to meet those goals
- Understands company products or services as well as business position and competition to keep business competitive
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing or related field; Master’s degree in Business
- Proven previous experience as a Business Development Manager for more than 5 years
- Experience in project management with a background in advertising and social media marketing is preferable.
- Knowledge of online marketing and advertising
- Strong communication skills and IT fluency
Skills needed for this role
The Business Development Manager must have the tenacity and drive to seek new business and meet or exceed targets. He/She must have an excellent telephone manner for making initial contact and for ongoing communication with customers and business associates. Having good interpersonal skills for building and developing relationships with clients is also essential for this role.
Sales and Marketing