The Category Manager oversees the management, pricing, sales, and in some cases the distribution of a particular type of product that is offered by a company. He/She manages the product category or range and is responsible for the pricing and overall promotion of that product or service.
- Researches and analyze data and market insights
- Creates and develops a strategic long term plan for the development of the category
- Works with the marketing team and builds partnerships in the industry to promote a category’s products while cutting costs and increasing product sales.
- Analyzes sales data, meets with suppliers/retailers, and reviews planograms.
- Plays a role in the profitability of a company (optimize sales within a category) by increasing the quantity of products being sold
- Strategizes positioning of a product category in order to maximize its visibility
- Collaborates with buyers and merchandisers to expand product categories
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in business administration, retail management or a related field
- Successful previous experience as a Category Manager
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to effectively manage others
- Proficiency in supplier management software like Retail Link, Apollo, Nielsen Spectra.
- An understanding of the market and consumer insights and trends
Skills needed for this role
The Category Manager must be able to communicate effectively with both customers and top management within an organization. He/She must have extensive experience in understanding consumer needs and the retail environment. He/She must possess a commercial mindset and full comprehension of marketing and sales principles.