The CNC Operator produces machine components using a computer numerical control, or CNC, machine. He/She is responsible for programming, operating and implementing machine processes while maintaining company safety and quality expectations. Additionally, he/she manages related inventory and keeps accurate records of daily production.
- Sets-up and manage CNC machines to perform different jobs including drilling, grinding and milling
- Translates the requirements of detailed part drawings into measurements for production
- Produces parts with CNC machines based on programmed instructions by entering commands or loading control media
- Performs proper set-up and calibration procedures for all equipment and accessories
- Plans stock inventory by checking stock to determine amount available
- Programs mills and lathes by entering instructions
- Loads feed mechanism by lifting stock into position.
- Maintains continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Inspects workflows to ensure that technical and quality standards are met
- High school diploma or equivalent; technical degree is a plus
- Proven work experience as a CNC Operator
- Certificate or diploma in engineering is an advantage
- Ability to translate mechanical documents and engineering drawings.
- Experience working with machine tools or mechanical assembly
- Conversant with CNC operation and proficient in computer knowledge
Skills needed for this role
The CNC Operator must have mechanical and technical skills Knowledge of how CNC machine tools work. He/She must have the ability to configure CNC machine settings, read technical drawings and blueprint and use key measuring tools.