The Dental Assistant increases the efficiency of the dentist in the delivery of quality oral health care and are valuable members of the dental care team. He/She helps the dentist handle patients, instruments, and supplies during the treatment of the teeth, mouth, and gums. Dental assistants also document patient care and take x-rays.
- Assists dentist by handling supplies and instruments as requested
- Takes and developing dental radiographs (x-rays)
- Supports dental care delivery by preparing a treatment room, patient, instruments, and materials.
- Performs routine dental cleanings and assist the dentist with complex dental procedures
- Prepares dental insurance claims
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments, and prepare treatment rooms as needed
- Teaches patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health;
- Readies patients for dental treatment by welcoming, comforting, seating, and draping patients.
- Takes billing and insurance details from patients
- Places and removes periodontal and surgical dressings
- Ensures appropriate supply of equipment and materials
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- Licensed as a Registered Dental Assistant (RDA)
- Proven experience as a Dental Assistant for more than 3 years
- Experience with EMR (electronic medical records), medical terminology a plus
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
Skills needed for this role
The Dental Assistant must have strong communication and Customer service skills to ensure patients feel comfortable during their appointment. He/She must have technical and troubleshooting skills to work with a variety of dental, medical, scheduling and other organization software in the office.
1-4 Years Experienced Employee, Secretarial