The Dental Hygienist is responsible for providing oral care to patients through examination, teeth cleaning, and other preventative dental services. He/She works in a variety of settings, including hospitals, public health clinics, private dental offices, and dental schools.
- Provides dental health education about tooth care and diet
- Removes calculus and plaque (hard and soft deposits) from all surfaces of the teeth
- Prepares a treatment room for patients by adhering to prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Uses a range of dental instruments to clean, polish and scale teeth
- Performs dental hygiene services and procedures, including dental prophylaxis, scaling, fluoride and sealants, and root planning
- Ensures that sterile conditions are maintained
- Counsels patients about good nutrition and its impact on oral health
- Maintains instrumentation for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening, sterilizing, and selecting instruments
- Applies prophylactic/antibacterial materials, fissure sealants and topical fluorides to help prevent tooth decay
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- Diploma or certification in Dental Hygiene
- Proven experience as a Dental Hygienist for more than 3 years
- Experience with EMR (electronic medical records), medical terminology a plus
- In-depth knowledge of health and safety regulations in this profession (e.g. HIPAA)
Skills needed for this role
The Dental Hygienist must have proven dedication to provide high quality, comprehensive dental care. He/She must have the ability to comply with safety procedures, rules, and regulations in order to maintain a clean and safe working environment. He/She must use a variety of interpersonal and clinical skills to meet the oral health needs of many different patients each day.
1-4 Years Experienced Employee