The Design Engineer studies, researches and develops ideas for new products and the systems used to make them. He/She modifies existing products or processes to increase efficiency or improve performance. He/she also works on almost every consumer product imaginable for large-scale production, from telephones and medical equipment to kitchen appliances and car engines.
- Collects and analyzes data from tests on prototypes
- Identifies solutions to improve production efficiency.
- Summarizes scientific and engineering principles in an easy to understand manner
- Assesses a design brief to gauge the design requirements
- Modifies designs and retesting them
- Identifies new systems and processes to drive quality, efficiency and save costs
- Creates multiple iterations of design prototypes using computer-aided design tools
- Maintains existing engineering records and designs.
- Evaluates design solutions against industry standards and regulations
- Writes regular progress reports and presenting them to project managers and clients
- Supervises the manufacturing process of all designs
- Bachelor’s degree in design engineering, engineering, product design, or relevant field.
- Master’s degree in Design Engineering preferred
- Must have obtained license as a Design Engineer
- Proven experience of working in the design engineering field
- Familiarity with design software, such as Autodesk, AutoCAD Civil 3D, and MicroStation.
- Proficiency in site layout, grading, utility design, erosion control, regulatory approvals etc
- Proficient in MS Office and popular design software.
Skills needed for this role
The Design Engineer must have strong working knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) or engineering software and excellent time management and prioritization skills. He/She must have in-depth knowledge of industry design principles. Having in-depth knowledge of the latest design trends and engineering software to lead the way is also essential for this role.
Licensed Professional, Skilled Worker