The Legal Assistant supports lawyers with various tasks, including conducting legal research, drafting and reviewing documents, communicating with clients, preparing hearings, trials, and meetings, and organizing and maintaining files.
- Prepares legal documents such as wills, summons, complaints, responses and witness summons
- Keeps clients informed by maintaining contact; communicating case progress.
- Attends meetings and takes notes for lawyers in attendance.
- Identifies appropriate materials, legal articles, judicial decisions, and laws for assigned cases
- Helps lawyers during trials by taking notes or reviewing transcripts
- Drafts and proofreads correspondence and legal documents, such as pleadings and contracts
- Researches and compiles information that helps strengthen a case for the assigned Lawyer
- Enhances trial proceedings by organizing evidence, prepares exhibits, schedules witnesses
- Ensures that witnesses are ready when needed and takes courtroom notes.
- Associate’s Degree in paralegal studies, a paralegal certificate, or a Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 1-5 years of experience as an administrative assistant (preferably in a law firm or in a corporate legal department), legal assistant, legal secretary, or paralegal
- Working knowledge of case management software
- Computer literacy and satisfactory knowledge of daily operations of a legal office
- Discretion and the ability to handle confidential information
Skills needed for this role
The Legal Assistant must be able to juggle many tasks at once, have excellent communication skills, practice good judgement, and keep files and proceedings confidential. Strong command of the English language, grammar, and legal vocabulary to create and send professional court documents are essential. He/She should be proficient at multitasking, must be intuitive and excellent communicators with a keen interest in providing accurate and insightful support to lawyers and legal teams. He/She must have fantastic organizational skills, great IT skills and meticulous attention to detail.
1-4 Years Experienced Employee