The Litigation Paralegal works very closely with attorneys, assisting in depositions, witness preparation, and research. The paralegal is typically the one who prepares and handles all exhibits. They will also act as an assistant to the attorney during the court proceedings. Once the trial is over, the Litigation Paralegal will be responsible for closing out the case documents.
- Communicates with court personnel, opposing counsel and others
- Arranges and partakes in interviews with clients, where you will establish rapport and obtain case-related information.
- Conducts legal research and initial case assessments
- Performs administrative duties (calendar hearings and deadlines, organise case files, manage logistics etc)
- Categorizes and interprets data; reviews and analyzes reports, responses and records produced by opposing counsel.
- Handles trial preparation for the attorney and post-trial procedures
- Works with electronically stored information (ESI)
- Completes, submits, and stores all pertinent legal documentation under the guidance of the designated Attorney.
- A Degree from an ABA-approved law school and be an active member in good standing of the Bar.
- Must have completed an accredited paralegal program and have 2+ years of complex civil litigation
- Proven working experience as a Litigation Paralegal
- In depth knowledge of motions, discovery, evidence, litigation documentation, court rules and procedures, practices etc
- Must have a working knowledge of research databases such as Summation, Trial Director, LiveNote and/or Dialog.
Skills needed for this role
The Litigation Paralegal must be highly organized. During the trial an attorney will look to the paralegal to have all documents kept in an orderly manner and made readily available for retrieval. He/She must have good communications skills as he/she will act as liaison between departments and needs to have direct communication with clients, witnesses, and court officials. He/She must be highly organised with the ability to juggle multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Strong writing and communication skills along with attention to detail are essential for this job.
More than 4 Years Experienced Employee