The Materials Manager oversees a company’s inventory and purchasing operations. He/She collaborates with engineers and designers to determine the materials needed to complete manufacturing or construction projects according to specifications, research vendors for those materials, then order them.
- Researches potential vendors and negotiates prices.
- Directs production and inventory control, shipping and receiving, and materials storage.
- Purchases supplies and materials according to specifications
- Works with management to identify supply needs.
- Directs production planning and scheduling based on sales forecasts.
- Recommends solutions to existing processes to reduce waste and increase quantity.
- Negotiates purchasing agreements with vendors
- Records and assesses all materials quality, movement, and expenditure.
- Maintains inventory levels to ensure projects finish on deadline
- Manages and monitors storage of purchased parts and finished goods.
- Oversees distribution of supplies in the organization
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain or other related field
- Proven work experience as Materials Manager or similar roles
- Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) forklift certification is an advantage.
- Advanced knowledge of forecasting and budgeting processes.
- Solid understanding of supply chain and inventory management systems.
Skills needed for this role
The Materials Manager must have in-depth knowledge of supply chain and inventory management systems and must have hands-on experience with forecasting and budgeting. Having excellent organization and time-management skills are also essential for this role.
1-4 Years Experienced Employee