The Medical Secretary performs secretarial duties using specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. His/Her duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
- Greets visitors, ascertains purpose of visit, and directs them to appropriate staff.
- Ensures physician productivity by maintaining calendars; scheduling patient appointments
- Process medical insurance claims and patient billing
- Handles phone calls and take messages
- Works with insurance companies to process claims
- Interviews patients in order to complete documents, case histories, and forms such as intake and insurance forms.
- Receives and routes messages and documents such as laboratory results to appropriate staff.
- Secures information by completing database back-ups.
- Schedules appointments and surgeries, send appointment reminders and make follow-up calls or generate emails
- Processes patient billing and medical insurance claims
- Arranges hospital admissions for patients.
- Ensures confidentiality of sensitive information
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Proven previous work experience as a Medical Secretary or related jobs
- Knowledge of medical terminology, regulations and medical office procedures
- knowledge of medical coding is strongly desired
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office
- Must have good communication and interpersonal skills
Skills needed for this role
The Medical Secretary must be able to convey information to other support staff and medical professionals, as well as patients who visit the office. He/She must be proficient in computer software applications and must have superior customer service skills, time management skills and knowledge of medical databases.
1-4 Years Experienced Employee