The Plumber is responsible for installing and repairing water systems in residential or commercial buildings. He/She studies and analyzes blueprints and drawings to identify plumbing and water supply systems to assemble and install products without interfering with existing infrastructure. Other general tasks include measuring, cutting, bending pipe material and installing and maintaining water systems.
- Installs pipes and plumbing fixtures
- Visually inspects equipment and operates test equipment such as pressure and vacuum gauges to determine the cause and location of trouble
- Clears obstructions from sink drains and toilets
- Troubleshoots problems and decide how to fix them
- Repairs pipes and plumbing fixtures
- Estimates costs of installations and repairs
- Presents recommendations and related pricing to customers
- Plumbers must be capable of performing these tasks to ensure the proper functioning of properties’ plumbing systems
- Trade school diploma or completed apprenticeship
- Valid plumbing license
- Good working knowledge of water supply, heating, and ventilation systems
- Proficiency in reading blueprints and using plumbing tools
Skills needed for this role
The Plumber must have strong critical thinking and troubleshooting skills. He/She must have good listening and communication skills as well as good interpersonal skills and patience.