The Purchasing Manager is involved in every aspect of the business operations from the development of a product to comparing supplier costs to strategic planning to production. His/Her duties include reviewing new project proposals, interacting with both the marketing and sales team to create effective marketing strategies and handling contract negotiations with vendors.
- Manages the purchasing process including the buying, selling and distributions aspects of the company
- Develops and implements purchasing strategies.
- Reviews new project proposals for the company
- Manages supplier relations and negotiating contracts, prices, timelines, etc.
- Communicates with the marketing and sales team to effect working strategies
- Designs, plans and implements sourcing and purchasing strategies
- Analyzes existing purchasing processes for performance
- Coordinates with inventory control to determine and manage inventory needs.
- Maintains a database of approved suppliers
- Builds and maintains relationships with vendors.
- Evaluates vendors based on quality, timeliness, and price.
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain management, logistics, or business administration.
- Proven work experience as a Purchasing Manager for more than 5 years
- Experience using supply chain management software and tools, including Oracle, SAP Ariba, and/or Envision.
- Solid knowledge of data analysis, inventory management software, and forecasting techniques.
- Knowledgeable of inventory software
- Working knowledge of the industry and market conditions
Skills needed for this role
The Purchasing Manager must have a strong understanding of the market conditions and trends. He/She must have working knowledge of negotiation techniques in the industry. He/She must have exceptional interpersonal and social skills to build a good rapport. Having a positive and professional demeanor are also essential for this role.