The Senior Network Engineer orchestrates the moving parts involved with making an enterprise network run efficiently. His/Her work is more project-based than task-based. He/She oversees the workflow of service tickets and delegates most tasks to computer support technicians or junior network engineers.
- Collaborate with network architects to design and build functional networks
- Designs and implements new solutions and improve resilience of the current environment
- Uses knowledge of communication and routing protocol to make sure all the machines on a network communicate with each other properly
- Installs and configures networking hardware.
- Leads in the configuration of firewall security settings to access permissions groups for individuals
- Monitors network performance routinely to try and catch these fires before they happen.
- Creates and implements network security measures.
- Provides remote troubleshooting and fault finding if issues occur upon initial installation
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, System Administration, or a closely related field
- Proven previous work experience as a Senior Network Engineer
- Experience with network diagnostic, monitoring and analysis tools (e.g. SolarWinds network tools)
- Advanced knowledge of network operating systems including Cisco, JUNOS, and IOS.
- Knowledge of networking hardware including CPUs, wiring, and routers.
Skills needed for this role
The Senior Network Engineer must have excellent communication skills, particularly the ability to communicate with staff who aren’t technically trained and must take on a variety of tasks and pay attention to detail. He/She must be analytical and have problem-solving ability. He/She must also have teamwork skills and the ability to feel comfortable working with different teams, clients and groups of staff across an organisation.