The Substitute Teacher supervises students in the event that their regular teacher is unable to lead class. His/Her duties include managing classroom behavior, quickly interpreting lesson plans and creating reports to inform the students’ permanent teacher of their success.
- Follows lesson plans provided by the regular Teacher to create a cohesive and consistent learning experience for students
- Communicates in a friendly and positive manner towards parents, students, and administrators
- Maintains schedule availability to accept opportunities that arise
- Ensures the adequate supervision to assure health, welfare, and safety of all students
- Demonstrates familiarity with multiple subject area(s) and displays an inclination for developing competency across the curriculum.
- Manages the classroom effectively to encourage student participation, minimize distractions and maintain a positive learning environment
- Keeps records on attendance, accidents and incidents
- Supplements lesson plans with your own class activities if lessons end early
- Organizes students for effective instruction
- Works efficiently within existing learning structures and believes in the capability of their students to excel.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or other related field
- High School Diploma or general educational diploma
- Relevant experience as aTeacher for more than 3 years
- Solid understanding of classroom activities and teaching best practices.
- Knowledge of various teaching methods
- Valid teaching credential preferred
Skills needed for this role
The Substitute Teacher must maintain schedule availability to accept opportunities that arise. He/She must execute lesson plans consistent with the teacher’s guidelines, and school curriculums. He/She must be able to follow oral and written directions and have the ability to establish effective working relationships with staff and students. Having the ability to maintain effective classroom management strategies.is also essential for this role.