The Teacher Assistant provides classroom support for a lead teacher as they guide the class through a lesson by preparing materials, interacting with students and supervising projects. His/Her duties include preparing lesson plans, tutoring students one-on-one or in groups, taking attendance and monitoring student progress.
- Assists teachers with lesson preparation by getting materials ready and setting up equipment.
- Supports children across the curriculum, often with a particular focus on maths, reading and writing
- Performs recordkeeping duties associated with the classroom including attendance and grade calculation.
- Provides support to the teacher to ensure a safe and stimulating educational environment.
- Gives one-on-one or small group instruction and lesson review
- Ensures the classroom environment is safe and clean.
- Gives extra help to children with special needs or those for whom English is not their first language
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or other related field
- High School Diploma or general educational diploma
- Relevant experience as a Teacher Assistant for more than 3 years
- Solid understanding of classroom activities and teaching best practices.
- Knowledge of various teaching methods
Skills needed for this role
The Teacher Assistant must enjoy working with children and be devoted to building a nurturing and safe learning environment. He/She must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as in-depth knowledge of classroom activities and teaching methods.