The Transportation Manager oversees the daily workflow, schedules, and assignments of transportation employees. He/She conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive. He/She is also responsible for directing, coordinating, planning and overseeing tasks and operations within an organisation involving transportation activities.
- Oversees the coordination and routing of shipments.
- Directs activities related to dispatching, routing, and tracking of transportation vehicles, aircraft, or railroad cars.
- Maintains and completes accurate records
- Directs investigations to verify and resolve customer or shipper complaints.
- Communicates effectively with clients and responding to their requirements.
- Directs dispatching and routing activities and tracks transportation vehicles.
- Ensures that all drivers and operators have the correct, up to date qualifications
- Arranges repairs and routine maintenance
- Ensures that customer difficulties or problems are investigated and resolved.
- Books in deliveries and liaising with customers.
- Negotiates and secures contracts with transportation providers and customers.
- Bachelor’s degree in logistics, business administration, or a related field preferred.
- Proven work experience as a Transportation Manager or similar roles
- Experience working with union contracts and transportation-related government regulations.
- Experience working with transport management systems and warehouse management software, such as FreightPath and Infoplus.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
Skills needed for this role
The Transportation Manager must have knowledge of transport methods, costs and benefits. He/she must be tactful, diplomatic and calm, especially when dealing with tired drivers and disgruntled customers. Having excellent geographical knowledge is also essential for this role.
Logistics, Supply Chain