The Veterinary Assistant helps Veterinarians by treating and caring for animals. His/Her duties include recording health information about animals, helping to administer treatments, and providing food and water to animals.
- Feeds and provides water to animals at regular intervals throughout the day
- Cleans, sterilizes, and maintains kennels, operating rooms, examining rooms, cages, and surgical equipment.
- Grooms and bathes animals
- Provides first aid to pets in an emergency, stabilizing them until a doctor can take over.
- Sterilizes equipment and regularly cleaning examination areas
- Takes blood, urine and other samples to provide to the veterinarian for later testing.
- Handles and soothes animals during examinations, treatments, and vaccinations
- Administers medications to pets.
- Records relevant information about animals, including weight and types of medication given
- Performs diagnostic imaging and laboratory tests
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- NAVTA-approved veterinary assistant certification.
- Proven previous work experience as a Veterinary Assistant
- Technical know-how in areas such as disinfection, administering medication, and using diagnostic equipment
- Computer skills to maintain medical records about animals in veterinary software
- Skills needed for this role
- The Veterinary Assistant must be a team player willing to learn new techniques and treatments and to accept change. He/She must remain calm on tasks that are often busy and even chaotic environments with numerous distractions. Being physically strong and dexterous, and ability to stand for extended periods are also essential for this role.
1-4 Years Experienced Employee, Secretarial