Bursar manages and oversees operations of student, faculty, and staff accounts. Provides leadership and direction for tuition and fee structure, financial aid resources, billing and receivables, petty cash, and payments. Being a Bursar is the custodian of institutional funds.
- Handles customer phone calls and walk-in traffic to direct patrons to appropriate personnel
- Oversees the overall operations of student financial services, billing and receivables, and cashiering functions of the university
- Oversees day-to-day cash management
- Prepares financial reports and appraisals
- Advises on financial projects, policies, tuition changes, and structure, as well as new investments
- Encourages customer-oriented staff interaction with students, parents, and administrators
- Completes cost projection, forecasting, and annual income and expenditure estimates
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or another related degree
- 3+ years experience in a similar role and 2+ years of management experience
- Experience with budget management is a must for this role
- Certification in School Administration a plus
Skills needed for this role
As a Bursar, knowledge of federal and state financial regulations, and university financial policies and procedures are essential. He/She must have skills in budget preparation and fiscal management. Knowledge of cashiering and cash management principles, systems, procedures, and standards are beneficial for this job.
1-4 Years Experienced Employee
Accounting/Finance, General/Cost Accounting, Administration