The Carpenter is responsible for working with wood to build and repair structures and other items and they also may have to select and source appropriate materials depending on project needs. His duties include calculating quotes, meeting with clients and creating design plans for remodeling projects.
- Installs foundations, walls, floors, ceilings, and roofs using materials such as: wood, steel, metal, concrete, plastics, and composites of multiple materials
- Measures, marks, and arranges materials to establish layout based on blueprints or instructions from supervisors
- Takes measurements and calculate the size and amount of material needed
- Follows compliance with local building codes, and health and safety regulations
- Lays out floorings, roofings or drywalls ensuring they are leveled and compatible
- Builds stairways, doors and window frames, partitions and rafters
- Ensures the accuracy of work by checking completed projects with tools such as levels, surveying equipment, or framing squares; corrects problems as needed
- Performs minor plumbing, welding and/or concrete mixing work
- Successful completion of vocational school or technical college or apprenticeship program
- Previous working experience as a carpenter for 3 years
- Physically fit with good hand-eye coordination
- Hands-on experience in working with carpentry materials
- Must have manual dexterity, a good sense of balance, and excellent hand-eye coordination
Skills needed for this role
The Carpenter must be hardworking, reliable, and have good communication and organizational skills.He must have the ability to comprehend schematic diagrams, blueprints, sketches, building plans and other specifications. Having strong working knowledge of job site safety as well as ability to complete a company specific safety orientation is essential for this role.