The Gardener carries out skilled gardening and general garden maintenance work involved in all aspects of maintaining a well cared for garden area. His/Her duties include planting, growing plants from seed, purchasing plants, managing pests and keeping the area generally well maintained
- Plants and propagates bedding plants; may manage greenhouse operations, as applicable.
- Mows, trims, tree cutting and pruning
- Trims lawn edges for neatness, removes lawn clippings, and clears other debris from the ground using rakes, brooms, and powered leaf blowers.
- Provides knowledge input and advice relating to all aspects of the garden including pruning, staking, feeding and spraying.
- Assists with snow and ice removal from area roadways, building entrances and parking lots during winter months.
- Operates a motor vehicle to transport materials and equipment, as appropriate to the position.
- Designs and builds gardens
- Removes weeds to protect the attractiveness of the landscapes they work on.
- Irrigates, mows, rakes, and trims lawns and/or athletic fields.
- High School degree or general educational diploma is preferred
- Previous experience as a gardener for 2 years
- In-depth knowledge of plants and gardening techniques.
- Familiarity with landscaping design
- Knowledgeable about types and uses of various fertilizers
Skills needed for this role
The Gardener must have the knowledge of horticulture methods and materials, landscaping and cultivation of trees and woody plants. He/She must have the ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade and the ability to perform ground maintenance tasks. Being enthusiastic in taking care of the landscape and plants is also essential for this role.
Facilities and Maintenance, Gardening