The Pipefitter is responsible for the construction, maintenance, fabrication, and installation of mechanical piping systems. He/She focuses on commercial and industrial piping systems which include HVAC systems in commercial spaces, as well as the piping systems in power plants, laboratories, and factories
- Coordinates with the job site manager to configure pipe system layout.
- Orders proper pipes and other materials.
- Selects supports, hangers, and hydraulic cylinders.
- Assembles materials at the job site.
- Selects type and size of pipe.
- Cuts, threads, and hammers pipes according to pipe system specs.
- Uses saws and cutting torches to craft proper pipe sizes.
- Turns off steam, water, or gas from the pipe section.
- Secures pipes to walls and fixtures using brackets, clamps, tools or welding equipment.
- Repairs and maintains pipe systems and components.
- Resolves problems such as obstructions or holes.
- Dips non ferrous piping materials in molten tin and lead to prevent erosion, or galvanic and electrolytic action.
- Removes water from flooded manholes or basements.
- Repairs cracks and leaks.
- Job Requirements/Qualifications:
- High school diploma/GED.
- Trade school education or apprenticeship.
- Meet state licensure requirements.
- Proven experience as a PipeFitter.
- Physical dexterity.
Skills needed for this role
The Pipefitter must have excellent mechanical and troubleshooting skills and the ability to prioritize and maintain strong attention to detail. Having good communication and managerial skills are also essential for this role.