The Barback is the support team for bartenders. He/She focuses on stock and clerical tasks so the bartender can concentrate on making drinks. He/She assists in cleaning the bar, preparing garnishes, ensuring the bar is well stocked with napkins, straws, glassware, garnishes, and all other necessities, and taking on other duties to support the bartender and ensure that the bar operates smoothly.
- Restocks liquor, mixers, and garnishes behind the bar
- Performs bussing responsibilities such as clearing empty cups and trash from bar top and tables
- Maintains overall appearance and cleanliness of bar
- Performs frequent restroom checks for quality control
- Cleans restrooms thoroughly at the end of each shift
- Performs clean-ups of spills or other customer accidents as needed
- Ensures bartenders are equipped with clean rags at bartending stations at all times
- Ensures bartenders are equipped with clean glasses in front of house at all times
- Speaks to customers, answering questions, handling complaints.
- Learns about menu items and memorizing cocktail recipes
High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum age to serve alcohol
- Knowledge of menu items, including beers, wines, cocktails, and liquors
- Ability to handle tense situations with coworkers and customers calmly and rationally
Skills needed for this role
The Barback must have strong problem solving skills and good communication and interpersonal skills. He/She must be able to meet physical and scheduling demands of the position, including walking, standing, or lifting heavy items for extended periods and working nights, weekends, and holidays.
Less than 1 Year Experienced Employee