The Camp Counselor is responsible for supervising campers and keeping them safe. His/Her duties include teaching children and teenagers outdoor and recreational skills, overseeing and planning camp activities and learning and implementing emergency protocol efforts to ensure the protection of campers.
- Plans, leads, and implements camp programs for children.
- Organizes team games such as soccer, softball and basketball, explaining the rules and acting as referee or umpire throughout the game
- Models good behavior for campers as it relates to sportsmanship, manners, and respectfulness
- Provides high-quality educational and recreational opportunities and enjoyable experiences for camp participants.
- Leads activities such as crafts and art, demonstrating various techniques and encouraging children to come up with ideas
- Performs all responsibilities in a manner that guarantees the safety of campers
- Supervises campers and ensures their safety, development, growth, skill achievement, and general well-being.
- Leads and supports campers as they participate in age-appropriate activities.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- Relevant experience as a Camp Counselor
- First aid, CPR, and additional training may be required or beneficial.
- Physical ability to participate in activities, run, climb, swim, lift, or support the weight of children.
- Proven ability to maintain a safe environment for others in adherence with provided protocol and standards
Skills needed for this role
The Camp Counselor must first aid training to be able to respond to minor injuries or illnesses and must have health and safety knowledge to help keep all campers safe. He/She must have excellent communication skills to convey camp procedures to all visitors and leadership skills to guide and motivate campers throughout their stay.