The Civil Engineer creates, improves and protects the environment in which we live. He/She plans, designs and oversees construction and maintenance of building structures and infrastructure, such as roads, railways, airports, bridges, harbours, dams, irrigation projects, power plants, and water and sewerage systems.
- Assists with site investigations
- Undertakes technical and feasibility studies including site investigations
- Reviews government regulations and ordinances
- Assesses the worth and potential risks of projects
- Undertakes complex calculations
- Designs construction projects by studying project concepts, architectural drawings, and models.
- Develops blueprints using computer-aided design (CAD)
- Develops detailed designs.
- Liaises with architects, subcontractors, consultants, co-workers and clients
- Resolves design and development problems
- Assesses the sustainability and environmental impact of projects
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field, accredited by the Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering preferred
- Must have obtained license as a Civil Engineer
- Proven experience of working in the civil engineering field
- Familiarity with design software, such as Autodesk, AutoCAD Civil 3D, and MicroStation.
- Proficiency in site layout, grading, utility design, erosion control, regulatory approvals etc
Skills needed for this role
The Civil Engineer must have the ability to maintain an overview of entire projects while continuing to attend to detailed technicalitie. He/She must be a critical thinker and have sound subject knowledge of mathematics and physics to identify and solve engineering problems. He/She must also possess a certain level of creativity in order to present innovative solutions and improvements to technical processes.
Licensed Professional, Skilled Worker