The Logistics Director organizes storage and distribution of the goods and ensures that the correct product is delivered at the correct point in a timely manner. He/She is directly involved in stock control, transportation, warehousing and monitoring the flow of the goods.
- Works effectively across the organization to ensure successful execution of logistics support on integrated projects
- Identifies systems tools needed to implement process improvement and efficiency
- Leads to drive best practice through process and technology
- Establishes key performance metrics and benchmarks relating to group logistics planning
- Coordinates development of solutions to complex logistics support problems with other product support functions, customers, and suppliers
- Develops and implements logistics plans inclusive of supplier contracts, routing guidelines, problem resolution and cost containment
- Manages third party vendor relationships
- Evaluates logistics supply chain needs and selection
- A bachelors’ degree in commerce with accounts or finance as a major.
- An MBA degree in logistics management is of added advantage.
- Strong business acumen for effectively managing the costs and revenues. Anticipating market and client opportunities and responding appropriately.
- Self-managing and the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Professional demeanor and appearance.
- Geographical knowledge of major clients, competition, economic trends etc.
- Understanding client needs and anticipating the responses and changes appropriately.
- Ability to persuade clients to accept reasonable solutions.
Skills needed for this role
The Logistics Director must have superb written and verbal communication skills, great negotiation skills, proficiency in computers, especially spreadsheets. He/She must also be effective in building customer relations.
Logistics, Supply Chain