The Mechanic is responsible for investigating problems with different types of motor vehicles and making repairs accordingly. His/Her duties include communicating with vehicle owners to discuss their concerns, carrying out routine maintenance procedures on motor vehicles and replacing parts on motor vehicles to promote their functionality.
- Assesses vehicles and/or machinery to accurately diagnose and repair issues
- Uses diagnostic equipment to evaluate mechanical problems in vehicles.
- Liaises with clients to determine their automotive requirements and communicate vehicular defects or problems
- Conducts vehicle checks to see if repairs are necessary and the level of urgency required.
- Performs routine maintenance on machinery or automotive vehicles
- Maintains and cleans garage equipment and tools to ensure they are kept in a safe and usable condition at all times
- Demonstrates process of preventive maintenance and visual inspections to mechanic helpers
- Works with car accessory databases and ordering parts.
- High school diploma or equivalent; technical degree is a plus
- Associate’s degree or vocational/trade school certification preferred
- Proven work experience as a Mechanic
- Mechanically inclined with great problem-solving skills.
- Excellent manual dexterity, accuracy and attention to detail
Ability to work in uncomfortable, physically demanding positions, stand on one’s feet for prolonged periods, and lift up to 50 pounds at a time
- Familiarity with common mechanic’s tools, service, and diagnostic equipment
Skills needed for this role
The Mechanic must have strong organisational skills and a deep level of concentration, familiarity with common mechanic’s tools, service, and diagnostic equipment, and the capacity to work to deadlines. He/She must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills for dealing with colleagues and customers.