The Legal Secretary performs clerical work at law offices or organisations. The primary duties include providing Lawyers with direct assistance, scheduling client appointments and organising and maintaining all legal documents kept on-site.
- Conserves attorneys time by reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents
- Types and files legal documents, usually on a computer system
- Makes appointments with clients
- Transcribes and proofreads legal documents
- Facilitates the meeting of deadlines by keeping multiple agendas and provide timely reminders
- Manages records, projects and calendars to make sure everything functions smoothly
- Maintains client confidence by keeping client/attorney information confidential.
- `Answers phone calls, take notes/messages and redirect calls when appropriate
- Carries out legal research
- Generates revenues by documenting and inputting attorney billable time and reimbursable expenses
- Associate’s degree or higher in Legal Studies or a related field.
- 3+ years’ experience as a paralegal or legal secretary
- Working knowledge of litigation management software systems
- Able to work as a team with attorneys and other colleagues
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Computer literacy and satisfactory knowledge of daily operations of a legal office
- Discretion and the ability to handle confidential information
Skills needed for this role
The Legal Secretary must have the familiarity with legal terminology and documentation, proficiency in word processing software including MS Office. He/She must have excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to work with a team of Lawyers and others in the organisation. Having the ability to prioritise tasks and meet deadlines is also essential.
1-4 Years Experienced Employee