A sales clerk works for a retail company, and is responsible for processing customer purchases at the cash register. A sales clerk job description may also involve working with sales associates to close a sale and recommend other items for purchase. A sales clerk greets customers, rings up their purchases, ensures that they have found what they are looking for, and promotes sale items and other relevant products to round out their sale.
- Welcomes customers as they enter the store.
- Uses a cash register to ring up all customer purchases.
- Changes register tape when necessary.
- Processes checks and credit cards.
- Maintains cleanliness and organization of the register area.
- Counts out the drawer regularly.
- Answers customer inquiries and calls for assistance from other associates as necessary.
- Answers store phones and transfers calls to the appropriate department or personnel.
- Recommends add-on products and promotional items.
- Encourages customers to sign up for store loyalty programs.
- Ensures that all customers have found what they are looking for.
- Helps customers locate items on the retail floor.
- Calls other company stores to find products if they are out of stock at that particular location.
- Retrieves items from the stockroom.
- High school degree; BS degree in Marketing or related field would be a plus
- Maintains a professional but friendly demeanor at all times.
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- Demonstrates broad knowledge of company products and layout of the retail space.
- Possesses ability to persuade customers to add onto their purchase.
- Remains patient and polite, even with angry or upset customers.
- Manages time efficiently.
Skills needed for this role
A sales clerk must demonstrate excellent customer service skills, demonstrates strong organizational skills. She/He Possesses ability to think creatively to devise new ways to promote and market items.
1-4 Years Experienced Employee
Sales and Marketing